Edit Current Bio
UCB is written collaboratively by you and our community of volunteers. Please edit and add contents by clicking on the add and edit links to the right of the content

Mr. Arthur John Riley

Born on 2-8-1925. He was born in Ponds, MS. He was accomplished in the area of Business. He later died on 7-4-2006.
  • Basic Info
  • Attachments
  • Relations
  • Organizations
  • Accomplishments
  • Schools
  • Employers
Mr. Riley was born in Ponds, Mississippi to Louis and Jane Lane Riley. His family moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana where he received his formal education. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. After his discharge he moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin where he received his welding training. Mr. Riley moved to Buffalo, New York in 1947 and attended the New Hope Baptist Church. He met the former Tearah (Susie) Smallwood, whom he married on October 31, 1948. Later, he became a member of Trinity Baptist Church.

Before settling in the welding business, Mr. Riley was a construction worker and drove a taxi. He worked at Fago Brothers Construction until 1967 when he opened his own welding shop on Niagara Street with his brother, David. They named their business Welding By Riley. The shop relocated to Fillmore Avenue in the early 1970s. Welding By Riley was the first Black-owned welding shop in Buffalo. He also patented a device known as a Power Point, which aided in the construction of building by preventing the beams from bending and becoming distorted when driven into the ground.

Mr. Riley enjoyed playing cards and spending time with his family and friends. He and his wife had five daughters and four sons, 14 grandchildren, 17 great grandchildren and 2 great great grandchildren. Mr. Riley is buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery.