Edit Current Bio
UCB is written collaboratively by you and our community of volunteers. Please edit and add contents by clicking on the add and edit links to the right of the content

Dr. Myron St. Clair McGuire DDS

Born on 1-29-1901. He was born in Bradford, PA. He was accomplished in the area of Healthcare. He later died on 9-27-1988.
  • Basic Info
  • Attachments
  • Relations
  • Organizations
  • Accomplishments
  • Schools
  • Employers
Dr. McGuire was born in Bradford, Pennsylvania, sixty miles from Buffalo, New York. He lived in the city's Ellicott District since he came to Buffalo, at the young age of eight. He graduated from Public School No. 32 and Hutchinson Central High School, where he maintained an average of 96.4, and was awarded a scholarship from the Douglas Club, an organization of Black women. This scholarship took care of his first year's tuition at the University at Buffalo. He completed the University of Buffalo Schools of Liberal Arts and Dentistry. He graduated from UB School of Dentistry, Class of 1926. After graduation he set up his practice in the Ellicott District and remained there. His motto was, "When adversity discourages you, do it any how."

Dr. McGuire served as a school dentist in 1940, full and part-time in the Buffalo Health Department, which later became the Erie County Health Department. In 1977, he volunteered and worked to set up Neighborhood Dental Clinics as part of the Model Cities program and later became Assistant Clinical Director for the Erie County Dental Clinics. Under this title, he set up new dental clinics in School #53, with the assistance of Principal Nan Wood and West Hertel Junior high School with the assistance of Principal Gianturco.

Dr. McGuire was a member of the Erie County Dental Society; council #84 Knights of Columbus, the University Club of Buffalo, the University of Buffalo Dental Alumni, and the Upstate Medical Alliance, an organization of Black Professionals in medicine and the allied fields.

He was a founder of Phi Omega Graduate Chapter of the Omega Psi Phi, Inc. , a national fraternity with over five hundred chapters by districts throughout the United States. He was a member of the NAACP and a former member of the Board of Directors. During World War II, he worked closely with the executives of the local aircraft industries to place Black workers in jobs.

Dr. McGuire was the first Black in Buffalo to be endorsed by a major political party for Councilman of the Ellicott District. Every Mayor since 1926, appointed him to a community board; housing boards, laboratory boards and youth boards. In 1957, he was appointed Chair of the Ellicott Development Neighborhood Committee to act as the communicator of Ellicott District concerns regarding redevelopment. Under County Executive, John Tutuska, Dr. McGuire was appointed chairman of the forensic laboratory Board. Sister Mary Charlotte Barton appointed him to the D'Youville College Council.

Dr. McGuire was elected President of the Crispus Attucks Republican League of New York State in 1952.

Frank E. Merriweather Sr., editor and founder of the Buffalo Criterion was his political mentor and a friend until his death. He respected the Criterion for its long years of service to the community.

Dr. McGuire's wife, Neola, was an auditor for the County of Erie. She was newly retired at the time of her husband's death. She was a product of the schools of Buffalo, a graduate of School #17, Hutchinson Central High School, Bryant & Stratton business Institute and also attended Canisius College, majoring in accounting. Their daughter Ellen Russell was a graduate of the Meyer Memorial Hospital School of Nursing.